Tonsil stones are the hard yellow and while formulations located within the tonsils. It`s common to some extent and people may not even realize that they have tonsils. They also aren’t visible in normal cases and the size ranges from pea size to the size of a rice pellet. In rare cases only, tonsils cause serious health complications and they can grow into larger https://itonsilstones.com/ which can cause swelled up tonsils.
The Cause of Tonsil Stones:
The tonsils in human body are made up of tunnel, tonsil crypt and crevice. Different sort of debris, mucus, dead cells get trapped in these pockets. Fungi and bacteria build over this debris and create a foul and distinct odor. Over the time, this debris calcifies to some extent of hardness later forming tonsil stone. Here also variations in tonsil stones are seen, where some people would have single stone while others may have smaller formation of stones.
Here are the potential causes of tonsil stone formation:
- Poor dental hygiene
- Having big and large tonsils
- Chronic sinusitis issues
- Intensive smoking and tobacco consumption
- Not proper rinsing after eating food
Though it is not possible to see tonsil stones yet there are some symptoms to which you can relate to if you are experiencing any tonsils issue:
- Foul breath
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Chronic ear pain
- Sinus issues
- Sore throat
- White and yellow debris on tonsils
These symptoms are prevalent in the larger stones and may not occur in smaller tonsil stones
Prevention of tonsil stones:
Tonsil stones may occur at any stage and in most cases they are self- treatable. Here are some steps which can be taken to prevent them in initial stages
- While brushing teeth, do not forget to clean off the debris off the tongue. Replace the toothbrush after every three months and use an antibacterial mouthwash after every meal
- Totally cease smoking and consumption of tobacco. Tobacco consumption may worsen the tonsils condition and may enhance the complications
- Gargle with salt water, which perhaps is the best and most effective home remedy in minimizing the tonsil condition and It eliminates the foul odor which tonsils cause
- Stay hydrated and drink adequate amount of water everyday
- If the tonsils are causing frequent discomforts and the home remedies aren’t effective consult a doctor.
In the treatment options, removal of stones is the effective one. Here the tonsils can be removed via medications or in severe cases surgery may be required. However, surgery is very rare and manual treatments work in most of cases. Few treatments options are:
- Gargling-gargling with salt water may dislodge the tonsil stones and help in removing them. it also reduces the throat discomfort
- Cough- an energetic coughing also helps in loosening the tonsil stones and minimizes the pain and discomfort.
- Antibiotics- in few cases, antibiotics are also used in treating tonsil stones. They help in eliminating the bacteria which plays crucial role in the development and growth of tonsil stones.